Annette Danek-Akey of Penguin Random House Inaugurated as New WERC Board President
Thursday, May 16, 2019
Oak Brook, Illinois – May 20, 2019 – The Warehousing Education and Research Council (WERC), WERC.org, announces the installation its of 41st President of the WERC Board of Directors: Annette Danek-Akey, Senior Vice President of Supply Chain at Penguin Random House, the world’s largest consumer-book publisher. A member of WERC since 2012, Danek-Akey has been a tireless volunteer for the organization, serving as a presenter at WERC’s Annual Conference for Logistics Professionals, a participant in several planning committees, and on the Board since 2016.
“As I have now learned in the volunteer space, if you do well and you get things done, you are generally asked to do more,” she chuckles. “But, as a huge proponent of the importance of always continuing to learn—particularly in the fast-changing fields of warehousing, logistics and supply chain—I strongly believe being a part of WERC is one of the easiest ways to keep current. That makes it an easy decision to commit time to the organization.”
During her inauguration as President at the 2019 WERC Annual Conference in Columbus, Ohio in April, Danek-Akey encouraged other members to similarly become more active in the organization. “WERC is 99.9% volunteer-led and has been from the beginning; it’s the members who set the direction and determine the course of the association,” she notes.
“I’m passionate about encouraging members to increase their involvement and to help set the direction of WERC as we evolve to further support our members, the industry, and particularly women in the field,” adds Danek-Akey. “I’m also excited to continue working with the Board in the second year of our strategic-planning process to ensure we’re delivering the content and services that empower our members to thrive in their careers and make a difference in the world.”
“Annette’s enthusiasm and passion to serve WERC is contagious,” says WERC CEO Michael Mikitka. “As we chart the course and focus on what is next for WERC, Annette’s creative instincts and industry expertise make her the right leader at the right time.”
In addition to Danek-Akey, WERC installed three new officers:
- WERC Board Vice President: Gerald Perritt, Senior Vice President, Kuehne + Nagel
- WERC Secretary/Treasurer: Jason Minghini, Vice President of Supply Chain Solutions, Kenco Logistics Services
- WERC Past President: Ken Woodlin, Vice President of U.S. Operations, Canopy Growth Corp.
WERC also welcomed five new members to the Board:
- Jeremy Banta, Supply Chain Management Program Coordinator and Professor, Columbus State Community College
- Chad Claude, Director of Operations, DHL Supply Chain
- Brian Devine, Division Vice President, ProLogistix
- Will Sparks, Director of Logistics Field Support, Tractor Supply Company
- Arch Thomason, CEO, Sunland Logistics Solutions
Continuing to serve on the WERC Board are:
- Andy Bass, Director of Distribution, Ingersoll Rand
- Brian McCarthy, Senior Vice President of Operations, Young’s Market Company
- Kristi Montgomery, Vice President of Innovation, Research and Development, Kenco Logistics Services
- Deb Parmé, Vice President of Global Supply Chain Planning, Amway Corp.
For additional information, please contact Michael Mikitka, firstname.lastname@example.org or 630.990.0001.
The Warehousing Education and Research Council is the only professional association focused exclusively on warehouse management and its role in the supply chain. Members are experts from all facets of the distribution industry who come together to share practical knowledge and professional expertise to improve individual and industry performance. Learn more at www.werc.org.